GS-05: You qualify at the GS-05 level if you possess three (3) years of progressively responsible experience, one year of which was experience equivalent to the GS-04 grade level, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. You must have experience performing the following duties:
- Analyzing problems, gathering pertinent data and recognizing solutions; methodically planning and organizing work to ensure timely completion; communicating clearly, both orally and in writing and providing excellent customer service in person-to-person situations. Such experience may have been gained in administrative, professional, technical, investigative, or other responsible work. Experience in substantive and relevant secretarial, clerical or other responsible work is qualifying if it provided evidence of the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the duties of this position. Experience of a general clerical nature (typing, filing, routine procedural processing, maintaining records or other non-specialized tasks) is not creditable. OR
- You may substitute successful completion of a Bachelors degree or a full 4-year course of study in any field leading to a Bachelors degree for the experience required at the GS-05 grade level. This education must have been obtained from an accredited college or university. One year of full-time undergraduate study is defined as 30 semester or 45 quarter hours.
GS-07: In aIDition to the requirements at the lower grade level, you qualify at the GS-07 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-05 level in the federal government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. You must have experience performing the following duties:
- Performing preliminary examinations of applications and petitions for immigration benefits; ensuring required supporting documentation is included in application package(s) and applying necessary immigration laws, policies and procedures. OR
- You may substitute successful completion of one year of fulltime graduate education for the experience required at the GS-07 level. This education must have been obtained from an accredited college or university and demonstrate the skills necessary to do the work of the position. Check with your school to determine how many credit hours comprise a year of graduate education. If that information is not available, use 18 semester or 27 quarter hours. OR
- You may also substitute superior academic achievement for the experience required at the GS-07 level. You must have completed the requirements for a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale, class standing in the upper third of a graduating class or major subdivision or membership in a national scholastic honor society.
Please read the following IMPORTANT information to ensure we have everything we need to consider your application.
It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date. Your resume serves as the basis for qualification determinations and must highlight your most relevant and significant work experience and education (if applicable), as it relates to this job opportunity. Please be clear and specific when describing your work history as we cannot make assumptions regarding your experience. Your application will also be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions.
Please ensure EACH work history includes ALL of the following information:
Job Title (include series and grade if Federal Job)
- Duties (be specific in describing your duties)
- Employers name and aIDress
- Supervisor name and phone number
- Start and end dates including month, day and year (e.g. June 18 2007 to April 05 2008)
- Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
Determining length of General or Specialized Experience is dependent on the above information and failure to provide ALL of this information may result in a finding of ineligible.
Federal Experience: If you are using current or prior federal experience as a basis for qualifying for this position, the grade levels and length of employment (mm/ID/year) at each grade level must be listed in your work history. This information will be further validated if selected for this position.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build criteria competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer service. Please provide the dates and amount of time/hours worked earning this experience.