EHST 3370 Lab Assignment
1) Drinking water wells must be located at least 50′ from a septic system. The well casing is 1 ft in diameter. How much area (Ft2, acres) does this setback occupy?
2) A septic tank has a rated volume of 12,000 gallons and is 4′ wide and 8′ long. What is the liquid depth of the tank (Ft, inches)?
3) A pump tank is connected to the septic tank in question 2. The tanks have the same dimensions. When the pump activates, the water level in the tank drops 5″ in 5 minutes. What is the pump delivery rate (gallons/minute)?
4) If the pump in question 3 was designed to pump at a rate of 22 g/min, what is the pump delivery rate efficiency?
5) What is the BOD5 for this sample:
a. BOD bottle has a 300 mL volume
b. Tank sample was 5 mL, 295 mL of oxygenated, purified water
c. Initial DO was 8 mg/L
d. Final DO after 5 days was 3.5 mg/L
6) Septic system A has 3 – (100′ x 3′) trenches, system B has 5-(90′ x 2′) trenches and system C has a bed 10′ x 90′ (they all have the same area of trench bottom). Each system has 12″ of gravel. If the trenches are completely full of water, what are total areas (ft2) of soil/wastewater interface for each system? Which system provides the most treatment?
7) There is a septic system with 3-100′ trenches, each 3′ wide with 12″ washed stone. If the gravel has a porosity of 0.3, what is the wastewater storage capacity of the trenches (ft3, gallons) if the trenches are completely filled with gravel (no pipe in trench)?
8) Most trenches have a 4″ inside diameter pipe that conveys effluent the entire length of the trench. What is the total storage capacity for a 100′ x 4″ pipe (ft3, gallons)? If the 4″ pipe was in the gravel for each trench in question 7, what would the total pipe storage capacity be for the three trenches (ft3, gallons)? What would the total storage capacity be for the three trenches with 12″ gravel and 4″ conveyance pipe in the center of each trench?
9) What percentage of the total trench capacity does the 4″ pipe provide (question 8 data)?
10) Which of the systems in question 6 would have the most storage capacity (assume that the bed system has 3-pipes)?
11) If the on-site system used a chamber (semi-circle shape) for wastewater storage in each trench, and each chamber had a radius of 1 ft, and was 100 ft long, what would wastewater storage capacity (ft3 and gallons) be for the chambers (3 trenches, 100 ft long).
12) Septic tank effluent has a TN concentration of 95 mg/L and groundwater beneath the septic drainfield trenches has a TN concentration of 25 mg/L. What is the treatment efficiency of the septic system in reducing TN concentrations before effluent reaches groundwater?
Area of a circle = 3.14 x (radius)2
Volume of a cylinder = 3.14 x (radius)2 x length
Pump delivery rate efficiency =
(actual pumping rate/ design pumping rate) x 100
1 ft3 = 7.48 gallons 1 gallon = 3.78 liters
1 meter = 3.28 ft 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters
1 ft = 0.3048 meters 1 meter = 100 centimeters
1 ft = 12 inches
1 acre = 43,560 ft2
Treatment efficiency [ (influent – effluent) / influent] x 100%
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.