You will need to write a lab report using the scientific method to answer the following questions:
– State which genes are dominant (the genes that get expressed over the other genes) and which genes are recessive (the genes that will not be expressed when the dominant gene is present).
– How do you know which genes are which?
– What is the ratio that is most likely to be observed across all traits?
Gregor Mendel’s studies laid the foundation for modern genetics. In a series of elegant experiments, Mendel was able to deduce the most fundamental laws of single-gene and multiple-gene inheritance without having the scientific data on chromosomes, their structure, or meiotic segregation. In this lab, you will incorporate these 2 pieces of the puzzle to interpret the experimental results that were obtained by Gregor Mendel in 1865.
When your lab report is complete, post it in Submitted Assignment files.
Part 1: Using the lab animation, fill in the following data table to help you generate your hypothesis, outcomes, and analysis:
Complete the following (Audesirk, Audesirk, & Byers, 2008):
1. Assign letters to the different alleles; use uppercase for dominant and lowercase for recessive.
2. Determine all of the types of genetically different gametes that can be produced by the male and female parents.
3. Draw the Punnett Square, with each row and column labeled with one of the possible genotypes of sperm and eggs, respectively. (The fractions of these genotypes are included with each label.)
4. Fill in the genotype of the offspring in each box by combining the genotype of sperm in its row with the genotype of the egg in its column. (Multiply the fraction of sperm of each type in the row headers by the fraction of eggs of each type in the column headers.)
5. Count the number of offspring with each genotype. (Note that Pp is the same as pP.)
6. Convert the number of offspring of each genotype to a fraction of the total number of offspring.
Part 2: Write a 1-page lab report using the following scientific method sections:
– State the purpose of the lab.
– This is an investigation of what is currently known about the question being asked. Use background information from credible references to write a short summary about concepts in the lab. List and cite references in APA style.
– A hypothesis is an educated guess. Based on what you have learned and written about in the Introduction, state what you expect to be the results of the lab procedures.
– Summarize the procedures that you used in the lab. The Methods section should also state clearly how data (numbers) were collected during the lab; this will be reported in the Results/Outcome section.
– Provide here any results or data that were generated while doing the lab procedure.
– In this section, state clearly whether you obtained the expected results, and if the outcome was as expected.
– Note: You can use the lab data to help you discuss the results and what you learned.
Provide references in APA format. This includes a reference list and in-text citations for references used in the Introduction section.
Audesirk, T., Audesirk, G., & Byers, B. E. (2008). Biology: Life on Earth with physiology. Upper SaIDle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.