1. Patients with chronic bronchitis have excessive mucus production and general inflammation of the entire respiratory tract. The mucus narrows the airways and makes breathing difficult. Explain what does narrowing of the airways do to resistance of the airways to air flow?
2. Why do people with chronic bronchitis have a higher than normal rate of respiratory infections?
3. Compare the possible consequences of breathing too rapidly with the possible consequences of breathing too slowly.
4. If alveolar ventilation increases, what do you predict will happen to arterial PO2? To arterial PCO2?To venous PO2?To venous PCO2? Explain.
5. When the pulmonary blood flow to a lung is blocked, as by embolus, the region may survive on its bronchial flow. Why does the affected lung region continue to expire CO2 but not to take up significant O2?
6. What congenital defects underlie left-to-right shunts that increase PO2 first in the 1) right atrium, 2) right ventricle, 3) pulmonary artery?
7. Explain why normal people can function very effectively even when their systemic arterial PO2 is only 40 mm Hg (e.g., hypoxic hypoxia of high altitude), which is the same tension found in normal mixed blood.
8. Discuss whether edema-filled alveoli constitute a diffusion defect (the barrier is too thick) or a ventilation/perfusion problem (the alveoli are full of liquid). If the alveolar-arterial oxygen partial pressure difference was found to be 300 mm Hg while the subject was breathing oxygen for 10 minutes, what would you conclude about the mechanism of the arterial hypoxemia?
9. Describe how the oxygen supply to skeletal muscles is regulated at rest and during vigorous exercise.
10. Various drugs can antagonize the carbonic anhydrase in circulating red blood cells. What changes might you expect in the blood or in the body if you studied a person before and after such a substance had been taken? Distinguish between early (non-steady-state) events and steady-state events.
11. Severe hemorrhage increases peripheral vasoconstriction and heart rate. Why does it cause rapid breathing?
12. Why does left ventricular failure or mitral valve dysfunction cause elevated pulmonary blood pressure?
13. What would happen to the following in a person suffering from an acute asthma attack (bronchoconstriction)?
COPD also known as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a general term for respiratory disease and includes both the conditions of chronic bronchitis as well as emphysema. As a result of emphysema or chronic bronchitis, the airway can become narrow and they are very common amongst the leading causes of respiratory distress and in most scenarios have been found to happen together. COPD basically refers to this distress as a result of chronic bronchitis or emphysema or could be both
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.