1. Water-soluble hormones, such as proteins and peptide hormones, activate target cells using _______.
a. direct gene activation
b. the second-messenger system
c. steroid hormone action
2. The most common stimulus for proIDing endocrine glands into action is ________.
d. direct gene activation
3. The endocrine gland most closely associated with the hypothalamus is the ________.
b. pineal gland
c. thyroid gland
d. pituitary gland
4. The target organ of thyrotropic hormone (TH), or thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), is the ________ gland.
5. Alcohol suppresses the production of this hormone, ________, which normally promotes water retention and prevents dehydration.
a. antidiuretic hormone (ADH)
c. thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
d. cortisolUnit 3 Examination 128 GED 102 The Human Body
6. The hypothalamus makes two hormones, ________ and ________, that are stored by the posterior pituitary.
a. oxytocin; antidiuretic hormone (ADH)
b. cortisol; aldosterone
c. growth hormone; prolactin
d. antidiuretic hormone (ADH); prolactin
7. Normal blood pH falls in a range between ________ to ________.
a. 7.1; 7.2
b. 7.35; 7.45
c. 7.6; 7.75
d. 7.85; 8.05
8. An important plasma protein that contributes to the osmotic pressure of blood is ________.
9. The percentage of erythrocytes in blood is known as the ________.
b. buffy coat
10. Each hemoglobin molecule is able to transport ________ molecule(s) of oxygen.
11. A decrease in the oxygen-carrying ability of the blood, for any reason, is a condition known as ________.
12. Life at a high altitude can lead to a red blood cell disorder known as ________.
13. The layer of the heart wall that receives the stimulus from letter E is called the ________.
14. The partition where the bundle branches are located is called the ________.
a. left atrioventricular groove
b. interatrial septum
c. interventricular septum
d. right atrioventricular groove
15. The pointed, inferior portion of the heart, known as the ________, rests on the diaphragm and is oriented toward the left hip.
16. The visceral layer of the serous pericardium is actually the same layer as the ________.
c. fibrous pericardium
17. The two superior receiving chambers of the heart are known as the ________, while the two inferior discharging chambers of the heart are known as the ________.
a. ventricles; atria
b. atria; ventricles
c. arteries; veins
d. veins; arteries
18. The valves located between the atria and ventricles are known as the ________ valves.
b. atrioventricular (AV)
19. Blood leaves the left ventricle through an artery known as the ________.
a. pulmonary trunk
c. superior vena cava
d. coronary sinus
20. Lymph fluid and some plasma proteins originate (escape) from the ________.
a. intracellular fluid
b. blood vascular system
c. endocrine system
d. respiratory system
21. Excess accumulation of fluid, which impairs the exchange of materials within the tissues, is called ________.
d. MALT (mucosa-associated lymphatic tissue)
22. The ________ duct drains lymph from the right arm and the right side of the head and thorax.
d. right lymphatic
23. Bacteria and tumor cells are removed from lymph by ________.
a. lymph nodes
c. the spleen
24. The role of the ________ is to trap and remove bacteria or other foreign pathogens entering the throat.
d. lymph node
25. Peyer’s patches and the tonsils are part of the collection of small lymphoid tissues that protect the upper respiratory and digestive tracts from infection and are referred to as ________.
a. lymph nodes
b. MALT or mucosa-associated lymphatic tissue
c. germinal centers
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.