ease respond to THREE of the following questions in essays 1.5 to 2 pages long.
1) In Mad in America, Robert Whitaker argues that the treatment of mental illness is a prism through which to view a society. Put another way, he suggests, Medical treatments for the severely mentally ill inevitably reflect the societal and philosophical values of the day (xv). For this essay, please compare and contrast the dominant paradigm of mental illness treatment in two historical periods discussed in the book. You should consider: the underlying assumptions about the causes of mental illness; the prevailing treatment(s) of the day; how the mentally ill were regarded; and then describe what this tells us about that particular society at that particular time.
2) At the heart of Whitakers study is a question: Why do people with mental illness in the United States fare less well than people in poorer countries? Use Mad in America, as well as the other texts for our class, to aIDress this question. Ask yourself, why might this be the case? What are the social, cultural and economic features of U.S. society that contribute to this situation? You may want to focus on the three or four most significant factors and explain how they all contribute to this situation.
3) Utilizing Karps In Sickness and in Health and one other reading from Voices from the Inside, compare and contrast caring for a family member with a physical illness to caring for a family member with a mental illness. In what ways are they similar, in what ways are they different? What accounts for the differences? What factors to social perceptions play? Do these differences matter, why or why not? Explain.
4) Karp and Sisson write, I believe that one of the most important missions of sociology is to give voice to the experiences of those whose voices and experiences would typically otherwise be blunted, marginalized or simply ignored. If we want to understand how society works we need particularly to listen well to the narratives of those who are too often powerless, marginalized, disenfranchised, and stigmatized (p. 4). What do the narratives presented in Voices From the Inside tell us about how society works? Utilizing at least two selections from the book, please identify and discuss at least two different lessons these narratives tell us about how society works regarding mental health and illness.
In general, the responses will be evaluated as follows:
1) Each response should be written in an essay format (introduction, body and conclusion-writing matters!).
2) Incorporation of specific examples from the relevant texts (you should demonstrate that you have a solid grasp of the material by drawing on the texts to support your claim, argument or analysis). If you pull an exact quote from one of our readings, you must include the authors last name, year of publication and page number. For example: As in prisons, the attendants main job was to maintain order (Whitaker, 2010:69).
3) Completeness of response (be sure to answer all aspects of each question).
4) Each response should be 1-2 pages.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.